Scallion pancakes are a traditional appetizer on Chinese language take-out menus and are often secure for vegans. The one drawback is that they’re usually as greasy as they’re irresistible. Here’s a selfmade recipe that permits you to be answerable for the oil content material. You’ll be able to serve these scallion pancakes as a part of an Asian-themed dinner, and so they’re unbelievable with many sorts of soups, Asian-inspired or in any other case.
MAKES ABOUT TWO DOZEN 3-INCH PANCAKES
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry ﬂour or spelled ﬂour, or a mixture 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping cup thinly sliced scallions
Excessive-heat vegetable oil (similar to saﬄower)
Candy chili sauce or teriyaki marinade for serving (or see following recipe for Candy & Savory Dipping Sauce)
- Mix the ﬂour, water, and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk collectively to get a easy batter.
- Stir within the scallions.
- Warmth a calmly oiled nonstick griddle or broad skillet. When good and sizzling, ladle the batter onto the skillet in ¼-cup portions. If the batter doesn’t unfold properly, add a little bit extra water and whisk to mix. Cook dinner the pancakes on either side till golden brown. Take away every batch to a lined container, lining every layer with paper towels to soak up extra oil.
- As soon as all of the pancakes are cooked, serve heat with the sauce of your alternative.
Add a tablespoon or two of sesame seeds to the batter.
SWEET & SAVORY DIPPING SAUCE
This isn’t solely good to serve with the previous recipe for Scallion Pancakes, it’s additionally good with vegetable spring rolls or dumplings from the grocery store or the pure meals retailer’s freezer part. Generally they arrive with sauce, but it surely’s usually not sufficient.
MAKES ABOUT ½ CUP
- ⅓ cup all-fruit apricot or peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or mango nectar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or white wine vinegar 1 to 2 teaspoons grated contemporary or jarred ginger
- Mix all of the elements in a small bowl and stir collectively till nicely blended. Function recommended within the headnote.
- Retailer any unused portion in an hermetic container within the fridge.
BAKED POLENTA FRIES
Baked polenta fries have turn into a meals weblog pattern, however most recipes contain a prolonged course of. Polenta (coarse cornmeal) is cooked from scratch, unfold right into a dish, and cooled for hours to ﬁrm up. Solely then can or not it’s lower into fry shapes. We’re speaking a minimum of three hours of prep and wait time earlier than they even go into the oven!
Right here we’ll lower to the chase with precooked polenta—the type that is available in these neat tubes. Hours of prep and wait time are lowered to mere minutes. These oﬀbeat fries are a tasty appetizer or snack served on their very own; in addition they make a pleasant facet dish served with veggie burgers, wraps, sandwiches, and main-dish salads.
3 TO 4 SERVINGS
1 (16-ounce) tube polenta Olive oil or different vegetable oil, as wanted Salt and freshly floor pepper, to style Ketchup or marinara sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In case your oven runs sizzling otherwise you’re baking one thing else on the identical time, 400°F works, too.
- Minimize the polenta in half crosswise, then lower every part lengthwise into fry shapes, about ½-inch thick.
- Put the polenta fries right into a bowl and drizzle in a little bit oil (not an excessive amount of, simply sufficient to coat calmly), toss collectively gently to distribute, and sprinkle with a little bit salt and pepper.
- Organize the fries in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet or in a shallow roasting pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning each jiffy, or till crispy and ﬁrm on the skin.
- Serve without delay with ketchup or marinara sauce.
After drizzling the polenta fries with oil, sprinkle in a little bit dried oregano or thyme, or an Italian seasoning mix.
BAKED TOFU NUGGETS
As they bake, these neat little tofu nuggets turn into ﬁrm and chewy. Youngsters love them as a fundamental dish or snack, and as a straightforward appetizer for adults, they disappear shortly!Contemplate doubling the recipe for a party-size gathering.
4 TO 6 SERVINGS
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) tub extra-ﬁrm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons ﬁne cornmeal or garbanzo ﬂour 1½ teaspoons salt-free seasoning mix
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Freshly floor pepper to style
Warmed marinara or barbecue sauce, or ketchup for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Minimize the tofu crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices to get 6 slabs. Blot nicely between clear tea towels or a number of layers of paper towels (or use a tofu press forward of time). Minimize every slab crosswise into 4 nuggets, every about ½ by 2 inches.
- In a big mixing bowl, gently toss the tofu with the oil till evenly coated. Mix the cornmeal, seasoning mix, salt, and freshly floor pepper in a big plastic freezer bag or produce bag and shake to mix. Add the tofu nuggets and shake gently till evenly coated.
- Organize the nuggets in a single layer on a calmly oiled nonstick baking sheet. Bake for quarter-hour, then flip them fastidiously and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or till golden and ﬁrm.
- Serve without delay with the sauce of your alternative.